Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Camp Tekoa Life, Days One and Two

So I can finally blog.  It's been tough, the web service has been spotty.  But it's good now.

So where to begin.  I don't know how.  So much has happened.  I think I'll just give you some nuggets;

*  Camp Tekoa is so wonderful, but a rare treat is being able to share it for the first time with someone.  Last year it was with my co-pastor Rev. Jim Parsons whom I became fast friends with.  This year it's with my dear friend Rev. Darren Crotts.  We worked together in ministry in Davie County for many years, and now I get to share Tekoa with him.  Watching him smile, explore, soak it all in with his son (who is a camper this week) is such a treat.  And as these things go, he's teaching me too.  


*  As Pastors, Darren and I meet with all the groups.  I have been reminded that when meeting with elementary groups, have a plan.  Lots of plans.  Each year at Camp we have a spiritual theme.  This year's is "Breathe."  I've lead lessons with them my having them act out John 20 (Jesus gives the Holy Spirit, Thomas doubts) by being a dictator director, and then talking about it.  It's good to have a plan.

*  Also, it's good sometimes NOT to have a plan.  I also met with the Counselors In Training (CITs) for pastor time.  These are older teens quickly becoming young adults, and they're smart, insightful, empathetic, and have very big heart that feel deeply.  You don't come to them with a plan, you have to give room for the Holy Spirit to work.  I hate surrendering control like that.  Almost 2 hours later, I was humbled and blessed.  The future of Camp Tekoa is in fine hands.  They helped me a great deal, and I hope that I was able to do the same for them.  Cool people

Storm made big boom
*  Summer weather is unpredictable in the mountains.  Extremely unpredictable.  Twice yesterday huge thunderclouds roared by.  I am allowed to have my phone, so I check the radar.  It's on!  Everyone runs for cover, and it barely sprinkles.  Boo.  Then at around 8pm, I watch this beautiful thundercloud rise above the lake, lit in the setting sun.  I mean wow.  And wow it was...  9pm, the bottom fell out.  Total downpour, lots of lightning.  My favorite, the one that stuck so close that it made a "Zizzle-POP" sound followed by thunder that shook the buildings.  It was glorious!  And tense.  And glorious!  Yet I don't care for a repeat.  The forecast today; Thunderstorms.  Uy.




Will and Jerry
*  Watching Will and his special one-on-one counselor and friend Jerry go on adventures is just a blast.  Usually we have to hover over Will, keep an eye out on him, and we have to out of necessity.  Here, he's in perfect hands, and I feel so free!  This freedom is a rare and precious gift, like grace.  I don't deserve it, but I have it, and I'm just asked to say Thank You and Pass It On.  And I shall!





Star Wars Battle 2014
*  Star Wars remains as popular as ever at Camp.  Some of the staff bought lightsabers this weekend, and evening lightsaber duels are common.  I brought my premium lightsaber to the Opening Campfire Worship Service, and it's magical glow continues to produce awe.  A couple of kids have tried to outfox me and educate me, try to stump the Pastor.  Their efforts were valiant but fell predictably short.
*  The staff here continues to inspire and wow me!
*  The campers continue to energize and wow me!
*  The world is a better place because of Camp Tekoa

Till another day when I find the time, may the Force be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment